White-crowned Sparrow Songs Preprint!

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well!

Wanted to take a moment and shout out our new pre-print. Our former undergraduate student Jiaying Yang absolutely knocked this out of the park, learning not just how to do all of the song processing but also the ML using vak/TweetyNet while she was working with me. She did this all from the ground up! She’s off to start a PhD program this fall and I’m so excited for her and very proud of this work.

Anyway, here’s the link to the preprint: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.03.08.531720v2. Fingers crossed we see it published soon! Currently in review.

Also: if any of you folks happen to be attending the AOS conference in August, let me know! I’ll be there and presenting on Jiaying’s behalf.

Cheers!

Kaiya Provost

2 Likes

Congrats, I look forward to reading it!

1 Like

Congrats @kaiyaprovost and thank you for sharing the paper :pray:

The note types in white crowned sparrow song seem to give you a good foothold to ask questions about differences in song between subspecies. (As someone who is used to dealing with species that have more variable song across individuals, I am kind of jealous.) I’d be really curious to see some plots of the distributions of the acoustic parameters.

Very cool work, awesome to hear that Jiaying took the lead on this!